Saturday, June 23, 2007

Decorating idea - Bathroom


I love to make changes... INEXPENSIVE... in our home. In the guest bathroom (also known as 'my bathroom') I change the colors with the seasons. For Summer I used lime green and blue this year. I only have to buy towels and a few small goodies to give it a totally different feel. The photo is of a small bench that is always in this bathroom. I like to sit on it when I dry and attempt to curl my 'straight-as-a-board' hair. To chang it's look I unscrew the top of the bench, and pry the staples off the previous fabric with a screwdriver. Then put a coordinating fabric (to my color scheme) on the seat and staple gun it underneath... pulling tight. Pop the seat back on the bench and put the screws back in. If you're reading this and thinking, "Does this lady think we're dumb & totally untalented?"... then the 'how-to' isn't meant for you. But, I have had people ask where I get all the cute benches. So, I'm really speaking to them. They probably are great with numbers or something... we each have our God given talents.

When the season ends, the towels are stored in plastic tubs with lids, along with some of the decorations. I throw in a fabric softener sheet to give 'all' a fresh smell. My tubs are labeled, so I just have to pull out the next season and put everything in it's place. It's a very quick job!




I like to check thrift shops, etc. for the little added touches... also known as 'goodies'. I store the pictures on the top of the tubs as they are changed seasonally, too. Ali Edwards had a blog about 'bathroom art' (see my list of links to reach her site) that she purchased at etsy.com. If you haven't been to etsy.com, then pour yourself a cup of coffee or tea and fasten your seat belt for a wonderful CREATIVE experience!!







3 comments:

Cecile said...

You make it sound so easy! I love the idea of changing thisngs for the seasons, but so far have never been able to do more than change out the table cloths and accessories in the LR and DR. I am trying to find a vintage white bedspread and may change all my bedroom linens and curtains to white for the summer. I just love your bathroom summer colors.

PS. I'm in Duluth

Gina said...

Oh it looks absolutely beautiful!

Rhona said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog the other day, it was lovely to receive a comment from someone different. I'd love to know where you stumbled across me. In answer to your question on my blog, little Tyler is my niece's baby, mine are all that much older now (19.17 & 10). I have just had a quick look at your blog and am now going to scroll down. I love your bathroom idea and the colours are gorgeous!