Thursday, April 8, 2010

YUMMERS!

This is a great cookbook brimming over with vegetarian yummy recipes. I bought it years ago because it has such a gosh darn cute cover! I love all of Mollie Katzen's cookbooks (the Moosewood series)! This is the Spanish Rice recipe from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. I made it yesterday and it was REALLY yummy! It's a one pot dish and is fairly quick to make despite that the brown Rice takes longer to cook.
1 1/2 Cups chopped onion
2 large cloves crushed garlic
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 tsp salt (I use Sea Salt)
1 3/4 cups raw brown rice
2 chopped green bell peppers
1/2 tsp each: oregano and basil
freshly ground black pepper
&
Tabasco sauce to taste
2 1/4 cups tomato juice
2 small fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green olives
freshly chopped parsley
1 packed cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil with salt.
2. Add raw rice, green peppers, and spices. Saute over medium hat another 5-8 minutes.
3. Add tomato juice. Bring to boil. Turn heat way down, cover, and let simmer 15 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and olives. Stir, cover and continue simmering until rice has absorbed all liquid. Remove from heat.
5. Fluff the cooked rice with a fork and transfer to a serving bowl. Stir in most of the cheese. Garnish with the chopped parsley and remaining cheese.
Great leftovers!!


Otter sat on the kitchen rug and watched me cook. Poor guy... he didn't even get a taste! I haven't ever given him any 'people food' and I don't want to start.
I'll probably eat those words one day!

Make this a great day!
Hugs to you all!
Joni


PS...
This is what we woke to this morning!

8 comments:

Rhona said...

Oh dear, more snow!!! That spanish rice recipe looks really yummy, thanks for sharing the recipe. I guess you'd be able to heat up the left overs the next day?
We also don't let Cloud have any food from our table or scraps, she's also not allowed to be in the room while we're eating. We've done it right from when she was little and if she walks in while we're eating and she sees us, she walks out again. Good girl! :o)

Thimbleanna said...

Ohmygosh! I can't believe you got more snow! Hopefully it will be short-lived and you'll soon be basking in the sun! Your rice looks won-der-ful!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope that snow is not headed our way! The rice casserole looks yummy. I've always meant to have a meal at the Moosewood Restaurant, but neither my husband or my son are fans of vegetarian meals.

Anonymous said...

I made this yesterday (minus the cheese) and it was so yummy!

Anonymous said...

That's just the dish when there's snow on the ground!

sassy said...

hi joni! we got the smae snow here too! yuck! the rice looks great-I must try it!

Pam said...

Hope the snow is now long gone!

Jenni said...

Poor Otter - his beagle tummy (a never-ending pit) must have been in agony. Good for you for standing firm though. I've just held off an attack by Simon who was trying to get my ham and cheese on toast. Now they are hanging around 'just-in-case' there are leftovers. There aren't!
Good on you for seizing the day by building your fence.